Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Count-down

Between end of preschool (yippee! That's ANOTHER volunteer job finished for me!), beginning of summer, our local NCa/HI conference planning, and the recent severe illness and death of our dog, this blog has been sadly ignored.

And now somehow it's less than a week before we leave and I'M NOT READY!

I'm a list-maker. And I tend to enjoy making the lists more than doing what's on them. Currently, I have about 4 different conference lists, from what to pack, to what to do in Chicago and what I need to get done before leaving. Actually, there are a couple of "what to get done first" lists and I'm adding to them faster than I can check things off. I'm on the LLL Community Network Conference list, which has been amazingly busy the last couple of weeks. From that, I have a list of restaurants, grocery stores, museums, and activities near the hotel (I'll post it here in the next day or two). I've also got our long packing list printed out and ready to start.

I really hate packing, even more so with children since I'm now packing for 3 people (James can fend for himself!). I don't want to spend my time in Chicago doing laundry, so I'm trying to figure out how to take the minimum # of suitcases and still have enough clothing for us for 10 days. At least I know what to expect at the conference - over-airconditioned rooms, so I'll want slacks and sweaters. And when we're out and about, we'll need light-weight clothes and sun protection. My daughter has been telling me daily what needs to come with her. For a five-year old girl, those items tend to run towards notebooks, pens, dolls, multiple hair ribbons, makeup, and way more clothing than she'll need. We'll be paring down tremendously! My son will be happy with some Legos and his cowboy boots.

What I'm looking forward to:
meeting Leaders from all over the world
putting faces to names I only see on emails
the bookstore (James, don't read this. . . I hope to need an extra suitcase for my purchases)
the exhibit hall
all the CE sessions

Off to start gathering suitcases!

No comments: